MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, Republicans again did not take action to stop the reckless and irresponsible spending cuts known as the sequester. As warnings are issued about the potential harm these across-the-board cuts could cause, Republicans have refused to vote on House Democrats’ alternative to stop the sequester with a balanced approach to deficit reduction. Instead, House Republicans passed a Continuing Resolution that accepts the sequester, rather than taking steps to protect seniors, children, families and our military from the harmful effect of the irrational cuts. The sequester is a reckless process, and I remain committed to working with my colleagues to find a solution to stop these harmful cuts.
Yesterday, I was proud to stand beside President Obama as he signed into law the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act. As a cosponsor of the original legislation in 1994, I am glad Congress was able to come together to expand the Violence Against Women Act so that it is fully incisive for LGBT Americans, Native Americans, and immigrants. Working together, Congress was able to pass a bipartisan and inclusive bill that placed the interest of the American people over short-term political goals. I hope that in the weeks ahead, Republicans will continue this spirit in Congress and work with Democrats towards a big and balanced deficit reduction deal to put our country on a fiscally sustainable path.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook and twitter accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
- VIDEO: House Democrats Fight to Stop the Sequester
- Hoyer: Sequestration Is Not a Solution
- Hoyer: The Republican CR Does Nothing to Stop the Sequester
- Hoyer Discusses the Need to Stop the Sequester on Fox News' "Your World with Neil Cavuto"
Sequester At A Glance
- Sequester At A Glance: The Impact on our National Security & Defense Community
- Sequester At A Glance: The Harm to Job Creation and Our Economic Recovery
- Sequester At A Glance: The Avoidable Impact on Our Most Vulnerable Communities
- Sequester At A Glance: Impact of the Reckless Cuts on Education
- Sequester At A Glance: Harmful Impact on Health Care and Research