Mariel Saez 202-225-3130
A MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, Republicans introduced their bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which would kick millions of Americans off their health insurance and make millions of others pay more for less coverage. Less than 48 hours after the bill was released, Republicans on two committees marked up the legislation in the dark of night while the public wasn’t watching. They held no hearings and passed the bill out of committee without any analysis on the cost to taxpayers or the impact on the American people. Republicans are trying to jam this bill through Congress because they know that if the American people know what was in the bill, they would strongly oppose it.
The American people deserve to have a voice in this debate. That’s why I launched resistrepeal.org, a website to provide Americans with the chance to voice their opinion on the Republicans’ repeal bill. I encourage Americans to visit the site to tell Congress what they think about the legislation.
Finally, today marks President Trump’s fiftieth day in office. On issues of jobs, health care, and national security, the President has failed to meet the promises he made to the American people. He promised to provide “insurance for everybody” that is “much less expensive” and “much better,” but Republicans’ bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act fails that test. He said he would be a jobs president, but has not put forward a single jobs bill or a detailed plan on how he would put Americans to work or support job creation. He stated he will make America safe, but his actions – from defending Russia and alienating our allies to putting in place another Muslim ban this week – undermine our national security. President Trump has failed to live up to the empty rhetoric he continues to put forward.
Steny H. Hoyer
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On the Republican Bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: Top 10 Reasons Every American Should Be Concerned By the House GOP’s Bill to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: GOP Hypocrisy: Rushing Their ACA Repeal Bill, Hiding the Impact From the American People
- FACT SHEET: Editorial Boards: Reject The GOP Bill to Repeal the ACA, Force Americans to Pay More for Less
- VIDEO: Hoyer Floor Remarks on the Republican Bill to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- VIDEO: Hoyer Floor Remarks on Republican Efforts to Hide Their Bill to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- VIDEO: Hoyer Discusses the GOP Bill to Make Americans Pay More For Less with MSNBC's Craig Melvin
- Whip Hoyer Launches ResistRepeal.org, a New Website Dedicated to Ensuring the Public's Voice is Heard as Congress Debates the Republican ACA Repeal Bill
- Hoyer Statement on House Republicans' Bill to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- Hoyer Discusses Republicans' ACA Repeal Bill on Press Conference Call
- Hoyer: Committee Markups Ought to Be Postponed Until CBO Estimate Is Released
- Hoyer Statement on Committee Markups of GOP’s Bill to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
On President Trump’s Muslim Ban Executive Order