Mariel Saez 202-225-3130
MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, Congressional Republicans voted to begin the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act. Despite voting 65 times to repeal the legislation, House and Senate Republicans still don’t have a plan to replace the law. Repealing the ACA without replacing it immediately will not only cause 30 million Americans to lose their coverage, but it would increase costs for tens of millions of Americans who rely on employer-based insurance, lead to the loss of three million jobs by 2021, and add $350 billion to the federal deficit. Democrats will continue to hold Republicans accountable for their efforts to repeal the ACA without offering a replacement and Make America Sick Again.
This week, the Senate began to hold confirmation hearings for members of President-Elect Trump’s cabinet. Many of the nominees have serious conflicts of interest, and it’s troubling that Senate Republican leaders are working to ram through the nominations without proper vetting. I urge Senator McConnell to provide Senators – and the American people – with the opportunity to thoroughly and thoughtfully consider these cabinet nominees.
Finally, Democrats have introduced legislation to create an independent commission to investigate Russia's interference into our democratic institutions, following the report released last week by the intelligence community confirming Russia's actions. Unfortunately, Republicans refused to vote with Democrats to bring this legislation to the Floor this week. However, we will continue to urge President-Elect Trump and Congressional Republicans to prevent this from happening again and safeguard our democracy.
Steny H. Hoyer
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On Republican Attempts to Repeal the Affordable Care Act:
- FACT SHEET: Republicans Deeply Divided Over Repeal of the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: THEN & NOW: Republican Hypocrisy on the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: Repealing the Affordable Care Act Will Impact Millions of Americans with Employer-Based Coverage
- Hoyer: Affordable Care Act is Helping Encourage Entrepreneurship
- Hoyer: Republicans' 'Repeal-and-Delay' Plan Ought to be Called 'Repeal-and-Deny'
- Hoyer: Republicans' Budget Resolution is Nothing More than a Partisan Effort to Take Health Coverage Away from Tens of Millions of Americans
- VIDEO: Democrats Highlight How the GOP Repeal of the Affordable Care Act Will Make America Sick Again