MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
On Tuesday, House Republicans shut down the government for the first time in 17 years over their destructive obsession with repealing the Affordable Care Act. After four days of the GOP shutdown, House Republicans are continuing to play games; nothing they have considered on the Floor will re-open the government. Democrats have already compromised by agreeing to the Republican funding level. We should reopen the government, then go to conference on a budget to negotiate a long-term agreement on the budget, as Democrats have requested for months. Until that happens, the American people will continue to see the real-world consequences of the Republican choice to shut the government down over the Affordable Care Act, from hundreds of thousands of federal employees furloughed, to Head Start programs for children starting to close their doors.
Even though Republicans shut down the government, open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act began Tuesday. Millions of Americans around the country now have access to quality, affordable health care for themselves and their families. These online marketplaces through healthcare.gov offer a variety of quality health insurance plans at competitive rates. For those who enroll by December 15, coverage will begin on January 1. Open enrollment continues through the end of March next year and I encourage you to visit www.healthcare.gov to find out how the health care reform insurance marketplaces can benefit you and your family.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook and twitter accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATERepublican Government Shutdown
- Hoyer Statement on Republican Government Shutdown
- Hoyer Discusses the Republican Government Shutdown on CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper"
- Hoyer Remarks at Press Conference On the Effects of the Republican Government Shutdown on Federal Employees
- Hoyer Discusses the Republican Government Shutdown on CNN's "New Day"
- Hoyer Calls on Republicans to Vote with Democrats to End the Government Shutdown Today
The Affordable Care Act
- Hoyer Video Message on Open Enrollment Season for Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Hoyer Statement on Beginning of Open Enrollment for Health Insurance Exchanges
Make It In America