MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
The Republican government shutdown entered its second week as the House Republican leadership continues to refuse to allow a vote on the Senate’s clean bill to reopen the government. Now in its 11th day, the Republican government shutdown is having negative impacts across the nation, negatively effecting the economy, businesses, and a wide range of sectors. Democrats have already compromised by accepting the level of funding supported by Republicans, yet House Republicans still refuse to reopen the government so that thousands of people can get back to work.
Congress is also facing an impending deadline to act to ensure America can pay its bills. Without action, business leaders and economists warn that there could be deep and damaging impacts to our economy, world markets, families, and businesses. I believe that we must take action immediately to reopen our government and ensure America can pay its bills. Once that has happened, Congress should negotiate a balanced and long-term solution to our fiscal challenges.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook and twitter accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
Republican Government Shutdown
- Hoyer Discusses the Republican Government Shutdown on MSNBC's "Morning Joe"
- Hoyer Remarks After Democratic Caucus Meeting with President Obama
- Hoyer: Let Us Provide Dedicated Federal Employees With Peace Of Mind
- Hoyer: Instead of Republican Manufactured Crises, We Need A Long-Term Fiscal Solution
- Hoyer: Congress Ought to Open Government & Ensure America Pays Its Bills