The office of Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman seeks a highly motivated, hardworking press and new media assistant to work closely with the Communications Director, legislative staff and Member. This position will require the ability to move seamlessly between traditional and new media to promote the Member’s legislative priorities and grow both her digital footprint and media presence.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Compiling press clips and maintaining media lists.
- Monitoring print, web and broadcast media for opportunities to engage.
- Supporting the planning and execution of DC and district events, including press conferences;
- Drafting press releases, talking points and memos.
- Conducting research and assisting the communications staff with the day-to-day operations of an active press office.
- Updating the member’s official website.
- Managing social media platforms.
- Video production, including filming and editing broadcast-quality videos.
- Graphic design.
This position requires a creative thinker who’s unafraid to present new ideas and opinions and is ready to push a strong progressive message. The ideal candidate will have the capacity to work collaboratively with both DC and district staff and demonstrated experience working in communications and digital strategy, preferably on Capitol Hill or in a campaign setting. Experience and comfort using photo and video editing software, particularly the Adobe design suite, is highly preferred. Knowledge or experience in photography is a plus.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, one to two page writing sample, and a file share link (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) to a digital portfolio containing examples of graphic design, video production and other creative work to email@example.com with “Press Assistant" in the subject line. No phone calls, faxes or drop-ins, please.