- 70% believe Congressional Republicans are putting their own political agendas ahead of the good of the country.
- 53% of non-Tea Party Republicans believe Congressional Republicans are putting politics ahead of country.
- 68% believe the shutdown is doing “quite a bit” of harm to the economy.
- 73% describe the shutdown as “quite serious.”
- By 53%-31%, the public places the blame for the shutdown on Congressional Republicans over the President.
- 63% believe failing to raise the debt ceiling would be a serious problem for the country.
Putting politics ahead of country? Harming the economy? We’re going to go out on a limb and guess that’s probably not the reaction Republicans thought they were going to get.
Clearly, Republicans don’t have the backing of the American people. Maybe this will be the wake-up call they need to rethink their opposition to reopening the government and start working with Democrats on bipartisan solutions.