MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, House Democrats continued our call to extend tax cuts for middle class families. Extending tax cuts on income below $250,000 is a policy both parties agree on, so I hope we can work together and take action quickly to give American families confidence that their tax rates will not increase at the beginning of next year. This proposal will avoid a tax increase on 98% of Americans next year and 97% of small businesses keep a lower tax rate. Passing legislation extending these tax cuts will help restore confidence to our country so our economy can continue to grow.
This week, I voted in support of a bill that requires a report outlining the specific spending cuts that could go into effect in January 2013 if Congress does not take action on a big and balanced deficit reduction plan to prevent those cuts from happening. I will continue to urge Members of both parties to work together to create this big, bold and balanced plan and put all options on the table.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook and twitter accounts.
Democratic news update
On Democrats’ Make It In America Plan:
- Hoyer Statement on President's Manufacturing Committee Final Report
- Hoyer Statement on President’s Proposal to Create New STEM Master Teachers Corps
- Hoyer Statement on Expedited Port Projects
- Hoyer Statement on Republican Senators Blocking the Bring Jobs Home Act
On Impending Sequestration
- Hoyer Statement on Sequestration Transparency Act
- Impending Sequestration: A Devastating Policy Designed to Encourage a Big, Bold and Balanced Plan
On Democrats’ Proposal to Extend Middle Class Tax Cuts
- Hoyer, Pelosi, Clyburn, Levin Send Letter to Republican Leaders Calling for Markup of Republican Tax Bill
- Priorities: GOP Holding Hostage Tax Cuts for 98% of Americans to Give Nation’s Wealthiest 2% Another Tax Cut
On Making Congressional Activities Accessible
- Hoyer Announces 2012 Member Online All-Star Competition
- Whip Hoyer Announces House Democrats’ Adoption of New Online Tool to Hear From Citizens and Organizations