Stephanie Young, 202-225-3130
Washington, DC – House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today after the White House released a report on the benefits that millions of Americans are experiencing as a result of the Affordable Care Act:
“The Affordable Care Act is providing Americans greater access to quality, affordable health care and important patient protections. Nearly 129 million Americans with pre-existing conditions can no longer be discriminated against by insurance companies; 71 million Americans on private insurance have received a free preventive health care service; and more than three million young adults have gained health coverage through their parents’ insurance plans.
“These are real savings and security that individuals and families are experiencing now. Instead of working to repeal and dismantle the Affordable Care Act, Republicans ought to work with Democrats in a bipartisan way to strengthen the law and ensure it works for everyone. Democrats will continue to defend the Affordable Care Act and the important savings and safeguards this law provides so that the clock is not turned back to the days when costs were skyrocketing out of control and insurers could discriminate against consumers.”
According to the report:
- In 2011 and 2012, 71 million Americans with private insurance plans received at least one free preventive health care service.
- Nearly 129 million Americans with pre-existing conditions, including almost 17 million children, cannot be denied health coverage or be charged higher premiums.
- More than three million young adults are receiving health care coverage because they can stay on their parents’ health plans until age 26.
- Over 7 million seniors and Americans with disabilities have saved an average of $1,200 per person on prescription drugs since the enactment of the Affordable Care Act, which closes the Medicare “donut hole.”
- Lifetime limits on benefits have been eliminated, and beginning in January, 105 million Americans won’t have to be concerned with annual limits.