MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, I was pleased that Republicans agreed to an extension of our Surface and Air Transportation Programs and the Federal Aviation Administration so that we can fund our nation’s highways, mass transit and aviation. I hope moving forward, Republicans will work with us on long-term authorizations of these two measures, which will create jobs and make improvements to our infrastructure that are critical to American competitiveness. However, I was disappointed that other bills Republicans brought to the Floor this week were not focused on jobs. Instead, Republicans wasted taxpayer money by pursuing legislation that is more about partisan ideology than helping create jobs.
I’m also disappointed that Republicans will not be bringing any jobs bills to the Floor next week and, after nine months in the majority, still don’t have a comprehensive jobs plan. Democrats, on the other hand, are focused on our Make It In America plan –a plan to create jobs by promoting an encouraging environment for businesses to innovate and make products here in the U.S., which will help more families make it in America. I’m pleased that many provisions of the President’s jobs bill, the American Jobs Act, are similar to elements of the Make It In America plan. I hope Republicans will abandon their partisan agenda and work with Democrats to quickly take action on the American Jobs Act, which incorporates bipartisan ideas, is fully paid for and will help put more Americans back to work.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On Creating Jobs, Growing Our Economy:
- Whip Hoyer Op-ed: Speeding Up the Patent Process
- Hoyer Statement on American Jobs Act
- Hoyer Statement on Passage of Highway and FAA Extensions
- Hoyer Floor Statement on GOP 'Make It Outside America' Bill
- Hoyer Remarks During Congressional Black Caucus Special Order Hour On Creating Jobs, Helping the Unemployed
- Hoyer Commends Progressive Caucus for Focus on Jobs
On Fiscal Responsibility:
- Hoyer: Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction Must Succeed, Reach Biggest Agreement Possible
- Hoyer Statement on First Joint Select Committee Hearing