Mariel Saez 202-225-3130
MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, House Republicans continued to rush their bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act through Congress, so that they can bring it to the Floor next week for a vote. They are attempting to hide the dangerous consequences of the bill, which are clear after the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office released their estimate on the impact of the legislation. The GOP bill would kick 24 million Americans off their coverage, strip 7 million Americans of their employer-based coverage, and increase premiums for individual policyholders by 24-29% on average in each of the next two years.
Since Republicans have passed their bill out of three House committees without holding a single hearing about the impact of the legislation, House Democrats held a hearing yesterday to ask questions that Americans deserve answers to. At the hearing, I joined my colleagues to hear from two expert panels: one on the economic and coverage implications of the bill and another on patient and provider perspectives. You can read highlights and watch a video of the full hearing here. After hearing from 8 witnesses over three hours, it’s clear that the GOP repeal bill would impact every American and make them pay more for less care.
Yesterday, President Trump released his budget proposal, which included little detail and severe cuts to investments that support job creation and keep America safe. While the President says he is a “jobs president,” his budget breaks that promise to the American people by significantly disinvesting in jobs and shortchanging our workers. The proposal has been rejected by Democrats and Republicans alike, and I will continue to advocate for a smart budget that puts our nation on a sound fiscal path while investing in opportunity for all Americans.
Steny H. Hoyer
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On the GOP #PayMoreForLess Bill
- FACT SHEET: Non-Partisan Congressional Budget Office Confirms the American People Will Be Forced to Pay More For Less
- VIDEO: Hoyer Discusses President Trump's Allegations of Wiretapping and the GOP Bill to Make Americans Pay More For Less with CNN's Erin Burnett
- VIDEO: Hoyer Discusses Trump's Proposed Budget and House Democrats’ Hearing on the GOP’s #PayMoreForLess Bill on CNBC's "Squawk Box"
- Materials From The Hearing on the Impact of the Republican ACA Repeal Bill
- Hoyer Statement on Congressional Budget Office Evaluation of GOP Bill to Repeal the ACA
- Hoyer Delivers Opening Remarks at Hearing on the Impact of the Republican ACA Repeal Bill
- Hoyer Statement on Budget Committee Markup of GOP’s Bill to Repeal the ACA and Make Americans #PayMoreForLess
On the Debt Limit
- Hoyer: Democrats and Republicans in Congress Must Work Together To Pass A Clean Debt Limit Extension
On President Trump’s Proposed Budget