Mariel Saez 202-225-3130
A MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, I was deeply alarmed by actions taken by the White House that put the interests of Russia ahead of the interests of the United States. It is unacceptable that the Administration waited three weeks after learning Michael Flynn provided false information to the public and was a security risk to dismiss him – and only after it was public. There are a number of pressing questions regarding his resignation – including who knew about this and when and why he was allowed to continue to serve on the National Security Council – as well as why this Administration is so beholden to Russia. I continue to urge the establishment of an independent commission to investigate both the Trump campaign's and his Administration’s ties to Russia.
In addition to an independent commission, I introduced legislation on Wednesday to ensure that Russia does not receive any sanctions relief until it earns it. The bill would require Congressional approval before any sanctions against Russia are lifted, and is co-sponsored by both Democrats and Republicans. I urge the GOP leadership to bring it to the Floor for a vote.
I also continue to be concerned that House Republican leaders say that they are moving forward with efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Seven years and 65 symbolic votes to undermine this legislation later, Republicans still do not have a plan to replace the law. They are injecting uncertainty into the health insurance market, which alarms insurers and harms consumers, who will see increased costs and loss of coverage. With control of the White House and Congress, Republicans are fully responsible for what happens to our health care system.
Steny H. Hoyer
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On the Russia Sanctions Review Act
- Bipartisan House Members Introduce Russia Sanctions Review Act
- Hoyer Introduces the Russia Sanctions Review Act
- Hoyer Discusses the Trump Administration's Connection to Russia on "Anderson Cooper 360"
- Hoyer Statement on the Resignation of Michael Flynn
On Republican Efforts to Make America Sick Again
- Hoyer: Republicans Are Fully Responsible for What Happens to Our Health Care System
- Hoyer: GOP Rule Is A Distraction Meant to Obscure GOP’s Failure to Develop a Real Plan to Replace the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: Seven Years Later and No Plan to Replace the ACA: A Look at GOP’s Efforts to Make America Sick Again