MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This past Monday marked 300 days since Republicans took control of the House of Representatives, so I was disappointed that this week they still did not bring any jobs legislation to the Floor. In the past 300 days, Republicans have taken action little action to boost our economy, and have not put forward a comprehensive jobs plan.
Democrats have a jobs plan – the American Jobs Act and the Make It In America plan incorporate bipartisan ideas that will create jobs and strengthen our economy immediately. But instead of working with us on these bipartisan proposals, Republicans continue to focus on partisan bills that economists say won’t create jobs.
I was also disappointed that Senate Republicans blocked consideration of jobs legislation for the third time. This week, they blocked a bill that would have created jobs by making critically needed investments in infrastructure. I hope they will abandon their partisan stance next week when Senate Democrats bring the Vow to Hire American Heroes Act to the Floor, which will help more unemployed veterans get back to work.
In addition, I was pleased to be part of 100 House members – Democrats and Republicans – who sent a letter sent to the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction this week. The letter called on the committee to reach a big and balanced deficit reduction plan that puts all options on the table. I hope both parties will come together in the coming weeks on a plan that will create jobs, reduce the deficit, strengthen our entitlement programs and ensure all Americans pay their fair share.
STENY H. HOYER
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
- Hoyer Statement on October Jobs Report
- Hoyer Statement on Senate Republicans Blocking Consideration of Rebuild America Jobs Act
- Fact Sheet: Another Look at the House Republican “No Jobs” Calendar
- Fact Sheet: GOP Majority By the Numbers: A Look at GOP Inaction On Jobs, Growing the Economy
On Deficit Reduction
- Hoyer Remarks at Press Conference On Bipartisan Letter to the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction
- Whip Hoyer Discusses Bipartisan Letter to Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction, Taking Action on Jobs on CNBC
On Voting Rights