Asked by Fox News anchor Chris Wallace about whether the Republican government shutdown over Republicans’ obsession with repealing the Affordable Care Act was “worth it,” Sen. Ted Cruz had a surprising response, according to The Hill:
Well, we here in the Democratic Whip Press Shop have some follow up questions for Senator Cruz:
- Was it worth costing the economy $2 to $6 billion in lost economic output?
- Was it worth shaving at least 0.6% off of annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth?
- Was it worth $450,000 a day in lost government revenue due to National Parks closures?
- Was it worth costing the economy $160 million per weekday from furloughed workers?
- Was it worth putting Americans’ health at risk because employees at the Centers for Disease Control were furloughed?
- Was it worth delaying small business loans processing and approval?
We don’t think so, and a look at recent poll numbers shows that Americans don’t either.