Mariel Saez 202-225-3130
MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP
This week, Members were sworn in for the 115th Congress. With Republicans in control of the House and Senate, it is their responsibility to govern and deliver results for the American people. While Democrats in Congress will continue to be willing to work with Republicans on issues where we can find agreement, we will also meet our responsibility to represent the plurality of Americans who did not support the President-Elect’s agenda. Unfortunately, Republicans are beginning this new Congress on the wrong foot, by pursuing a partisan agenda, instead of working together to meet our nation’s challenges.
This week, the Senate began the reconciliation process to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA). After six years—and 65 votes to repeal the ACA—Republicans still don’t have a plan to replace the law. Repealing the ACA without a replacement has severe consequences for millions of Americans: 30 million Americans would lose their coverage and millions more would see their health care costs increase and benefits eroded. In addition, a new report shows that the Republican effort to repeal the ACA without a replacement would lead to three million jobs lost by 2021. Democrats will continue to hold Republicans accountable in their efforts to repeal the ACA and make America sick again.
Finally, the intelligence community released a report today confirming that Russia interfered in the election. In response, House Democrats have put forward legislation to create an independent commission to investigate Russia's interference in our election and its effects on our democratic institutions. I call on the President-Elect to listen to our intelligence agencies – not attack them – and work with Congress to uncover the full scope of Russia’s interference and take an appropriate response. This is not a partisan issue – both parties should care deeply about responding to any effort to create distrust in our institutions and undermine our democracy.
Steny H. Hoyer
P.S. Please invite your friends and family to sign up for this newsletter to learn about what House Democrats are doing to lead America in a new direction. You can also get the latest updates and join the conversation on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
DEMOCRATIC NEWS UPDATE
On Republican Efforts to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- FACT SHEET: 115th Congress Begins with Republican Effort to Repeal the Affordable Care Act
- Hoyer: Senate GOP Budget Resolution Sets Up ACA Repeal That Will Harm Millions While Ignoring the Deficit
- Hoyer Remarks During House Democrats' Conference Call to Discuss the Affordable Care Act
On Russian Interference in the Election
- Hoyer Statement on the Intelligence Community's Report on Russian Interference in the Election
- Hoyer & More Than 150 House Democrats Cosponsor Legislation to Establish Independent Commission to Investigate Russian Election Hacking
- Hoyer: President-Elect's Ridicule of Intelligence Agencies Undermines Our Security