Ten Make It In America bills have already been signed into law and are helping to foster an environment that encourages manufacturers to innovate, grow, and keep and create good jobs in the U.S.:
- U.S. Manufacturing Enhancement Act: Makes it cheaper for American companies to obtain the materials they need to manufacture goods. [Public Law 111-227]
- Protecting American Patents: Helps the Patent Office to begin to unclog the backlog—totaling about 1.2 million pending applications—by giving the agency access to more of the fees it collects so that patent applications can continue to be processed and innovative ideas can continue to move to market. [Public Law 111-224]
- Preventing Outsourcing: Prevents the outsourcing of U.S. jobs by closing tax loopholes that encourage companies to send U.S. jobs overseas. [Public Law 111-226]
- Small Business Jobs Act: Expands much needed lending to millions of small businesses and offers tax incentives to help small businesses grow, hire, and fuel our economy, without adding a dime to the deficit. [Public Law 111-240]
- Energy Jobs and Training for Veterans Act: Provides grants for programs to provide on-the-job training, apprenticeship, real experience, and long-term employment in all energy fields. [Public Law 111-275]
- America COMPETES Reauthorization Act: Establishes innovative technology federal loan guarantees for small- and medium-sized manufacturers and invests in science, technology, engineering, and math education. [Public Law 111-358]
- Reauthorization of Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs: The six-year reauthorization ensures that the nation’s small, high-tech, and innovative businesses are a significant part of the federal government’s research and development efforts. [Public Law 112-81]
- Leahy-Smith America Invents Act: Improves the patent system to provide incentives for companies to continue innovating and manufacturing in the U.S. [Public Law 112-29]
- Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act: Reauthorizes the Export-Import Bank for three years, ending uncertainty for businesses and providing the resources needed to keep American exporters competitive. [Public Law 112-122]
- Surface Transportation Reauthorization: Funds infrastructure improvements that will support manufacturing, spur economic growth, and create jobs in our communities. [Public Law 112-141]
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Reauthorizes the Workforce Investment Act in a way that ensures that adults, youth, dislocated workers and people with disabilities can receive the assistance they need to succeed in the job market, helps workers obtain jobs and build careers through strategic partnerships, and enables businesses to identify and hire qualified personnel to grow and continue our economic recovery.
Many of these laws passed with strong bipartisan support. Democrats hope that both parties will come together during the 113th Congress to pass additional Make It In America bills so we can grow our economy, put more Americans back to work, and ensure the middle class can Make It In America.