As we head into the final stretch on health reform, what else will the Republicans come up with to deceive the public, derail reform, and protect the insurance companies and the status quo? Does the health reform bill cede Texas to Mexico? Use tax dollars to cover care for French poodles?
• August 2009 – Former Vice Presidential Nominee Sarah Palin makes outrageous claim that the reform bills include “death panels.” Many in the GOP help spread the outrageous fabrication, including Sen. Grassley (R-IA), a leading GOP negotiator on health reform, who says government may “pull the plug on grandma.”
• September 2009 – GOP repeatedly claims the health reform bills will provide health care for illegal immigrants, despite all experts repeatedly debunking the claim. Rep. Wilson (R-SC) shouts at President Obama on the House floor during an address to Congress, calling the President a liar on the issue.
• Fall 2009 – GOP repeatedly calls health reform efforts socialism, saying they will lead to an economic disaster and will end America as we know it.
• Fall 2009 – GOP repeatedly claims that the Democratic health reform bills are unconstitutional, despite an overwhelming consensus of legal experts repeatedly debunking the claim.
• Fall 2009 – GOP repeatedly claims that the health reform bills add to the deficit, despite CBO - the official referee of Congress - confirming they reduce the deficit.
• February 2010 – GOP is outraged about the use of reconciliation in the Senate, even though it was used many more times in the past by them.
• March 2010 – GOP is outraged about the use of a floor procedure that they used hundreds of times in the past.